British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What are your top inspection tips?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #4559  by Alfred
 17 Aug 2019, 21:02
Patrick wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 16:42
Spot on Jazz - for plywood sheets read spare crownboards with taped over feed holes. Saves a world of pain.

I wrote an article for my divisional newsletter a few years ago on the the many uses of the humble crownboard with just a few minor additions they quickly become some of the most useful spare kit to have. I own loads more than I have hives and yet still often run out. Buy a load in the winter sales for under a tenner each, saw a couple of diagonal cuts two inches apart in one or more rims, add a deeper rim all round of one inch pine to one side, gaffer tape over the feed hole if necessary and voila - fondant eke, super “stand” and temp roof, winter top and bottoms for stored comb boxes, emergency spare floor, emergency roof (with a brick on it!), split board for vertical splits, snelgrove board for enthusiasts and er, crown board. Luv ‘em. Can never have too many.

I would use one as a dinner tray if I could get away with it :D
Add a set of three ekes to that kit box-One can convert a national super to a broodbox, two can make a super, three can make a broodbox (ish).At a push also a temporary 14x12 could be done too
They can also be used upside down with feeders and as insulation holders.
 #4563  by Patrick
 18 Aug 2019, 08:17
Nice one Alfred, another thing easy to run out of. My homemade ekes are not deep enough to convert boxes - worth making up some to do just as you suggest.