BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #1557  by nealh
 19 Dec 2018, 16:23
Blimey Nigel makes me feel that my autumn process was at least partly successful then , I was only seeing mites drops in the high ten at each visit an put it down to low infestation
 #1559  by AdamD
 19 Dec 2018, 17:10
I haven't checked for mite drop for a while. However mite boards went in a week or so ago with most colonies and the rest today so I can check after Christmas - usually the time for oxalic acid treatment for me. I don't recall that I have ever had 1000 mites drop - hundreds, yes.

This afternoon I put fondant on a couple of (a bit larger than) mini-nucs which were very light. I am not really expecting them to get through winter - but you never know.
 #1565  by NigelP
 19 Dec 2018, 21:31
No disrespect intended but most of my colonies need to overwinter on double brood boxes, so lots of bees inside.

From what I read (ABJ in particular) some hives are mite bombs...no logical reason to date.
 #1569  by Chrisbarlow
 20 Dec 2018, 19:05
scoping out a potential apiary site. Winter is good time for scoping reccies
 #1592  by Chrisbarlow
 29 Dec 2018, 12:20
Checking boxes for stores, 1 colony and several poly nucs light on stores so fondant added.
 #1593  by AdamD
 30 Dec 2018, 16:14
Today I treated my colonies with Oxalic Acid - by dribbling over the top bars. I am pleased that all colonies are alive including a couple of mini nucs, although we haven't had much cold weather yet. I put the varroa boards in a couple of weeks ago and there has been no significant varroa falling through the mesh floor in that time.

Small (mini-nuc) colonies tend to need more food proportionally to keep warm (not scientifically measured by me but seems to be the case) and small hives have less space for stores so winter success can no way be guaranteed; I'll need to keep an eye on them. One of my mini-nucs has an old queen in it and another has an emergency queen in there which I didn't have the heart to squash, so I am not too worried if they don't get through. If they do, then it's a bonus as I am sure I can do something with them.
 #1594  by NigelP
 30 Dec 2018, 16:54
Did the last of the OA vaping on my problem hives. Mild and bees flying like an early spring..
One or two are using up stores, but then I always panic and end removing store clogged frames after feeding fondant. This year I will be strong....perhaps just some 2:1 feed on the nucs.....and maybe some thick feedbee slurry along frame edges Feb/March depending on weather conditions.
 #1595  by Jim Norfolk
 30 Dec 2018, 18:31
Weighed my hives. Strangely the total hive weight has not changed in the last month. The bees are there and there is plenty of wax debris evident on the varroa boards so I know they are busy. I have noticed this pause in weight loss in previous years. Some possible reasons weight might not go down: 1, the wood of the hives is taking up water; 2, the bees are not actually using much of their stores to keep warm as the brood box is highly insulated; 3, they are rearing brood which could involve the import of water and brood adds weight; 4, they were still finding food in the mild weather. Any other ideas?
 #1597  by Patrick
 30 Dec 2018, 22:12
Been trying to identify a scalloped edge uncapping knife given to me at Christmas by my aged Aunt which belonged to maternal great grandfather who was born in 1860, and who I am now told kept bees as did my grandfather, then skipped a generation with my mother, then I was back on it.

History does not relate whether his parents kept bees but nice to think they might.

Apart from a very long narrow handle and obvious wear and tear, the design is relatively similar to many current models for the purpose but no markings on the blade. Looking forward to giving it a go next extraction in May.

Will be it’s first use for the intended function for the last 50 years at least.

A careful wash first perhaps..