• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #1987  by Chrisbarlow
 18 Feb 2019, 17:52
derekm wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 12:52
Chrisbarlow wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 07:35
I would like to ask, have Nigel and Derek ever been seen in the same room together? Are we sure they aren't the same person. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I dont think so although I have given a lecture in York

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure you'd know
 #1990  by Jim Norfolk
 18 Feb 2019, 18:19
Nigel I think the way most Physics works is the theory comes first then you design experiments to test the theory unlike Biology which mostly works the other way. You make a series of observations and then cook up a theory to explain them.

So what experiments would you conduct to test Derek's theory?
 #2000  by Chrisbarlow
 18 Feb 2019, 20:55
had some webbing on hive straps that had broken due to mice/rats nibbling in the apiary. A friend mentioned using eyelets to fix them back together and this seems to have worked. When I get them strapping a colony up again. I will find out for sure.
 #2038  by Jim Norfolk
 21 Feb 2019, 16:26
Wow 15 C today 8-) Nearly opened up to have look. But then I thought they have plenty of honey because I weighed the hives last week, and the bees are bringing in at least 3 colours of pollen, orange, yellow and dirty white. Why disturb them. So I contented myself with a good long sit by the hive just watching bees. :D
 #2040  by NigelP
 21 Feb 2019, 16:56
MY nearest out apairy is now bursting with pollen, still struggling at home apiary for the golden dust.
Good to see all hives and nucs busy in the sun.

#2041  by Chrisbarlow
 21 Feb 2019, 17:16
That's great to hear Nigel, can I ask though, how did you insert the image?
 #2047  by NigelP
 22 Feb 2019, 09:24
Chris It's hosted on a web server I rent for my website. All I do is place the url of the image inside those Image thingy's and it loads onto the page.

Jim, in reply to your question Biology is very much theory driven in that you think you know how something happens and design experiments to prove and also try to disproof your theories.
You cannot simply publish your theories without hard factual experimental evidence. Something it seems physicists can.
 #2056  by Chrisbarlow
 22 Feb 2019, 18:46
Thanks Nigel, that explains it.
 #2057  by derekm
 22 Feb 2019, 22:43
The experiments that verified the latent heat of evaporation, heat transfer etc. including the laws of thermodynamics were done long long ago. So unless you subscribe to biological exceptionalism, biological systems are bounded by the same theories which have already been verified by experiment. Honey bees dont have a "Get out of thermodynamics card ". Proving that honeybees expend at least 2.4MJ /kg in evaporating water seems somewhat pointlessly repetitious particularly since its a property of the water not the honey bees.

"Organisms are like nothing else in the natural world , not despite the laws of physics , but because of them "

D.M. Walsh 2015 Organism, Agency and Evolution
 #2060  by NigelP
 23 Feb 2019, 09:28
Not even sure what point you are trying make here.....

However, your stater for ten is "How does the genetic profile of a colony of honey bees affect the rate of the collected nectar being concentrated.
For an additional 5 points "Describe how the weather influences this process"
No laws of thermodynamic are broken in either case.