BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #1922  by Jim Norfolk
 13 Feb 2019, 19:37
IMG_0407.jpeg

Hook under each side of the hive in turn and lift untill legs are off the ground. Then add the two numbers together. Currenlty lifting around 20 kg per side. The hard part is holding while the reading becomes steady. I also remove extra weight like the roof and WBC lifts. I have used it with Nationals again just remove the roof.
 #1923  by Jim Norfolk
 13 Feb 2019, 19:54
Does not want to import my photo. Any ideas? Anyway its an ordinary Salter analogue scales which weighs up to 50 kg. The model is 235-6S - 50 kg x 200 g

https://www.brecknellscales.co.uk/products/hanging-scales/235-series.html
 #1928  by Chrisbarlow
 14 Feb 2019, 15:15
Hoorah, it feels like Summer. A good day beekeeping, putting pollens substitute on and adding bakers fondant where light.
 #1949  by Patrick
 16 Feb 2019, 19:10
Had a very interesting day at Somerset Beekeepers Lecture Day.

Some thought provoking presentations by Paolo Mielgo of Vita on varroa and treatments, Stephen Martin on Asian Hornets and also DWV, thermal properties of hives and insulation by Derek Mitchell and a talk about Buckfastleigh Abbey, Brother Adam and his bee breeding by the current Buckfastleigh head beekeeper.

Plenty of interesting material and all good speakers. An entertaining day out.
 #1951  by Chrisbarlow
 16 Feb 2019, 19:39
Patrick wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 19:10
Had a very interesting day at Somerset Beekeepers Lecture Day.

Some thought provoking presentations by Paolo Mielgo of Vita on varroa and treatments, Stephen Martin on Asian Hornets and also DWV, thermal properties of hives and insulation by Derek Mitchell and a talk about Buckfastleigh Abbey, Brother Adam and his bee breeding by the current Buckfastleigh head beekeeper.

Plenty of interesting material and all good speakers. An entertaining day out.
thats sounds like a really good day out! I would really like to see Derek Mitchel talk about insulation, Who was the speaker about buckfast breeding? as a fan of buckfast, that would have peaked my interest to.
 #1953  by Patrick
 16 Feb 2019, 22:05
Derek Mitchell did a talk on beekeeping “saws”, inc. challenging the idea that damp kills bees and felt wood hives compared unfavourably with tree holes in terms of thermal efficiency etc. We have discussed similarly on here. He also debunked the idea of top ventilation, comparing it to a 1940’s house without loft insulation! Very sadly, he did not mention matchsticks (at which point I would have had to involuntarily cough “Nigel!” very loudly - but it was not to be 😄!

Clare Densley from Buckfastleigh was, I think it is fair to say , quite analytical in her appraisal of the historic operation at Buckfast Abbey.
 #1963  by Chrisbarlow
 17 Feb 2019, 07:35
I would like to ask, have Nigel and Derek ever been seen in the same room together? Are we sure they aren't the same person. :lol: :lol: :lol:
 #1984  by NigelP
 18 Feb 2019, 11:51
If you have a read of Derek's latest paper you will find it there is absolutely no evidence for what he claims. It is purely hypothetical calculations based on many assumptions. I feel a lot of this will fall down when properly researched.
 #1985  by derekm
 18 Feb 2019, 12:52
Chrisbarlow wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 07:35
I would like to ask, have Nigel and Derek ever been seen in the same room together? Are we sure they aren't the same person. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I dont think so although I have given a lecture in York