BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #1886  by Chrisbarlow
 09 Feb 2019, 13:06
to answer your question, it was an open mated buckfast queen. Its the open mated bit that I dont know about of course. It was a nice pleasant colony to handle.
 #1893  by DianeBees
 10 Feb 2019, 12:47
Went to the Roger Patterson Sustainable bees event yesterday in Frodsham. Had a lovely day. Well very organised with good biscuits!

Today I have topped up fondant on one hive.
 #1913  by Cable_Fairy
 12 Feb 2019, 17:02
Spent some time this afternoon watching my two hives, the residents were coming back laden with yellow and white pollen. I suspect the yellow is from the Hazel tree about 20 feet from the hives, which has long catkins, what the white pollen is I do not know.
 #1914  by nealh
 12 Feb 2019, 19:05
Hefted six colonies all quite heavy so stores still pretty good.
Have heard and read other forums of quite few beeks feeding because of light colonies and even the odd expiry due to lack of stores.
Whether this is down to beeks not allowing for enough stores in Autumn or checking for stores to early in Autumn will be the unknown.
 #1915  by Patrick
 12 Feb 2019, 21:50
nealh wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 19:05
Hefted six colonies all quite heavy so stores still pretty good.
Have heard and read other forums of quite few beeks feeding because of light colonies and even the odd expiry due to lack of stores.
Whether this is down to beeks not allowing for enough stores in Autumn or checking for stores to early in Autumn will be the unknown.
Very true. There are many variables as how much and when colonies consume stores.

Ironically, the heaviest hive in a group of lighter ones all fed the same may actually be the one that is dying out.
 #1916  by Cable_Fairy
 13 Feb 2019, 11:59
Cable_Fairy wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 17:02
Spent some time this afternoon watching my two hives, the residents were coming back laden with yellow and white pollen. I suspect the yellow is from the Hazel tree about 20 feet from the hives, which has long catkins, what the white pollen is I do not know.
I was working up the garden this morning and noticed that the Sarcococca confuse was full of bees, so that is where the white pollen is coming from. :D
 #1917  by Patrick
 13 Feb 2019, 13:56
Well you had wondering for one .. !

I didn't know that plant at all had to look it up, sounds pretty useful. Mine were flying at lunchtime but its rather chilly. Some orange crocus pollen going in, not as exotic a source as yours :)
 #1918  by Jim Norfolk
 13 Feb 2019, 14:44
Sarcococca confuse, what we called Christmas box. We had one where we lived before and yes it was very popular with bees in winter. Weighed my hives today but no surpirses, just a continued steady drop in weight of around 0.3 kg per week. Lots of bees flying but no pollen coming in. Yet somehow spring feels just around the corner.
 #1919  by Cable_Fairy
 13 Feb 2019, 16:46
Jim Norfolk wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 14:44
Sarcococca confuse, what we called Christmas box. We had one where we lived before and yes it was very popular with bees in winter. Weighed my hives today but no surpirses, just a continued steady drop in weight of around 0.3 kg per week. Lots of bees flying but no pollen coming in. Yet somehow spring feels just around the corner.
Jim, What do you use to weigh your hives?
 #1920  by Chrisbarlow
 13 Feb 2019, 17:33
Making pollen substitute for beekeeping tomorrow. Apparently it's gonna be 13°c tomorrow and 14°c on Friday where I am.