BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #2514  by Steve (The Drone)
 29 Mar 2019, 07:10
I overwintered on 12x14's with an under super of stores each. Yesterday at 16 degrees C I went to remove these supers. On three colonies they were licked clean and so were placed above the crown boards ready for use later. On the other two colonies, at a different apiary, the brood chambers were full of stores, pollen and brood and the Queens had just started laying in the supers below. I've swopped these round and fitted QX's and will be adding an extra super pretty soon. The O.R. Will be in blossom very soon. Amazing how a distance of 5 miles can effect the quality of foraging.
 #2519  by Patrick
 29 Mar 2019, 08:59
Completely agree Steve. The three mile foraging “rule” is only ever quantitative rather than qualitative. There are certainly significant areas of forage desert around me.

Suspect most apiaries are necessarily sited according to convenience and availability (well mine are).
 #2542  by Chrisbarlow
 30 Mar 2019, 19:13
popped down to Lincoln Auction today Good day out.
 #2546  by Cable_Fairy
 30 Mar 2019, 21:39
Did a full inspection on both hives, the WBC was fine with lots of brood / lava, although I could not find eggs! However did see the Queen.
The National on the other hand I am afraid to say that there was a lot of "water" inside the hive and the rear frame has rust on the wired foundation and the dummy board was covered in mould. I have had a glass quilt on all winter and think that this has stopped airflow through the hive. The bees look alright, with lots of "brood" and there is plenty of food still on the under super.
 #2547  by Chrisbarlow
 31 Mar 2019, 08:16
Cable_Fairy wrote:
Did a full inspection on both hives, the WBC was fine with lots of brood / lava, although I could not find eggs! However did see the Queen.
The National on the other hand I am afraid to say that there was a lot of "water" inside the hive and the rear frame has rust on the wired foundation and the dummy board was covered in mould. I have had a glass quilt on all winter and think that this has stopped airflow through the hive. The bees look alright, with lots of "brood" and there is plenty of food still on the under super.
Althought it might have been damp in the hive it would appears if there is lots of brood , bees and stores in there, it hasnt done any harm at all. I bought a polly langstroth last year and overwinted them, there was lots of condensaton on the plastic crown board over winter, however the double langstroth is rammed with bees, I suspect it ran down the side of the walls of the hive, so as NP regularly proclaims, it doesnt seem to be a problem.
 #2576  by Chrisbarlow
 01 Apr 2019, 18:43
inspecting nucs and colonies that were given foundationless frames last week and they are drawing them out nicely. Very happy with how quickly they are being drawn out.
 #2577  by AdamD
 01 Apr 2019, 20:21
Chris, I guess that you hope that there won't be too much drone brood in the foundationless frames at this time of year. Are you using wire or nylon line to support the comb?
 #2578  by AdamD
 01 Apr 2019, 20:24
The weekend checks showed colonies with well-fed larvae as you can see here.

I didn't realize it but I have ORS within a fairly short distance of my two apiaries and there is lots of pollen coming in too. After a lull in early March, colonies are now expanding well. :D
 #2579  by AdamD
 01 Apr 2019, 20:26
Cable_Fairy wrote:
A hive with insulated roof and a mesh floor - in my experience - should not be wet as you describe. How is your hive configured?
 #2580  by Chrisbarlow
 01 Apr 2019, 20:39
AdamD wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 20:21
Chris, I guess that you hope that there won't be too much drone brood in the foundationless frames at this time of year. Are you using wire or nylon line to support the comb?
neither
https://www.theapiarist.org/foundationless-frames-update/

not to bothered TBH, as if they make to much, then I will remove as part of varroa IPM. I do want quite a lot though as I raise queens and I want my drones and lots of them. I cull less queens now than ever as they are much better behaved, I hope thats because there are more of my queen genetics in the area. win win