BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #7664  by AdamD
 08 Jun 2020, 13:34
A quick check on mini-nucs yesterday in the rain. Unfortunately one had run out of food which is always sad to see, queencell just a few days from opening. I had already decided to start moving from my mini-nucs to something bigger so colonies can look after themselves better.
 #7666  by Steve 1972
 08 Jun 2020, 13:56
Not that i have used them but I know a lot of people use them mini nucs but i don't like the idea of them trying to raise Queens and brood once she gets laying with so few bees..if i was ever to have a go at Queen rearing i would opt for a six frame poly nuc dumied down to two or three frames and add extra frames accordingly as they expand.
 #7686  by Cable_Fairy
 09 Jun 2020, 20:32
I was watching my hive this morning and noticed a number of bees flying under the hive, getting down on the floor I could see that there was a layer of bees one deep covering the Varroa mesh. Is this normal and what do you think they are doing?
 #7687  by Steve 1972
 09 Jun 2020, 22:10
Cable_Fairy wrote:
I was watching my hive this morning and noticed a number of bees flying under the hive, getting down on the floor I could see that there was a layer of bees one deep covering the Varroa mesh. Is this normal and what do you think they are doing?
It is not normal unless you have something at the front of the hive to shield the bees from undershooting the entrance and at the back of the hive..it sounds to me you have cold chilled bees coming in from orientation flights...
 #7688  by Steve 1972
 09 Jun 2020, 22:15
Steve 1972 wrote:
Cable_Fairy wrote:
It is not normal if you have something at the front of the hive to shield the bees from undershooting the entrance and at the back of the hive..it sounds to me you have cold chilled bees coming in from orientation flights or foraging duties...
 #7689  by Cable_Fairy
 09 Jun 2020, 22:38
Steve 1972 wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 22:15
Steve 1972 wrote:
Cable_Fairy wrote:
It is not normal if you have something at the front of the hive to shield the bees from undershooting the entrance and at the back of the hive..it sounds to me you have cold chilled bees coming in from orientation flights or foraging duties...
Many thanks for the reply, I should have said these bees are arriving and flying in from the back, in front of the hive is a sea of buttercups about a foot high.
 #7695  by Murox
 10 Jun 2020, 12:41
They don't know they are not in the hive, they under fly the entrance and settle under the mesh. Try blocking off the void under the OMF or put the inspection tray in.
 #7703  by AdamD
 10 Jun 2020, 17:25
Steve 1972 wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 13:56
Not that i have used them but I know a lot of people use them mini nucs but i don't like the idea of them trying to raise Queens and brood once she gets laying with so few bees..if i was ever to have a go at Queen rearing i would opt for a six frame poly nuc dumied down to two or three frames and add extra frames accordingly as they expand.
Mini-nucs do need careful management - either not enough food, too much food, if there's too much un used syrup it can ferment in the feeder. Too many bees can happen quickly. Not a lot of laying space to assess the queen, Queens absconding in warm weather as the colony is unnaturally small ... I have ordered some Abelo Mini plus nucs to see how they work so I can retire the Apideas and Swi-bines.
 #7704  by Steve 1972
 10 Jun 2020, 17:27
Cable_Fairy wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 22:38
Many thanks for the reply, I should have said these bees are arriving and flying in from the back, in front of the hive is a sea of buttercups about a foot high.
If the bees continue to do it get some of that green scaffolding debris netting you see on scaffolding or around raised bed's on allotments and staple it or use drawing pins and wrap it all the way around the legs on the hive stand.. ;)
 #7708  by Cable_Fairy
 10 Jun 2020, 20:29
Many thanks for all your replies, I think I have solved the mystery. Between the showers today I got down on my back with my head almost under the hive. Part of the mesh at the back of the hive had jumped off a nail and it was sagging a few mm, and the little beggars were squeezing through the gap. They all look like very young bees, and by the look of it can not find their way back into the hive. I have closed the gap and managed to box about half of them and placed them on the landing board, and they duly made their way back in the correct entrance. Between showers tomorrow I will dismantle the hive, its inspection day anyway, and brush them directly into the hive.