BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #3790  by Japey Edge
 26 Jun 2019, 19:51
Ah that's interesting Nigel, how do you make sure they're safe from vandals or thieves?

Today, I put the mini mating hive outside. One of the foundations had collapsed due to them chewing through it so much. Apicandy was all down the bottom of the feeder. There were probably too many bees in there so that's a lesson learned for next time. I put sugar syrup in the feeder after shaking as many out as possible.

Gave syrup to the other three colonies which had eaten the apicandy they could get to. I'll probably just slap fondant straight on next time rather than put cling film on as they can't get to it.

Was reassuring to see they're all doing well though. Need to leave them be for a while to take the feed and build up.
Last edited by Japey Edge on 26 Jun 2019, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
 #3791  by Alfred
 26 Jun 2019, 20:20
Saw unusual amount of deer pellets,some nearer the hives than normal.
If the 'gamekeeper' doesn't perform a cull soon I'm going to have to fence them off.

My non laying queen is persisting in her strategy and Im wondering if after nearly 2 weeks if its going to be unrecoverable?

Marked the new Qc's in the other hives with green drawing pins because I'd forget my head if the neck bolt worked loose.

Removed some of my New Beekeeper Rite Of Passage Bamboo Skewer Frames.
Sewn that badge neatly on my sleeve so now I can buy some extra foundation and become a little more cynical ;)
 #3792  by NigelP
 26 Jun 2019, 20:33
Japey Edge wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 19:51
Ah that's interesting Nigel, how do you make sure they're safe from vandals or thieves?
North Yorks moors is big place...out of sight is best policy. It's also not the sort of place where yobs go looking for trouble too many farmers/gamekeepers/landowners with firearms.
 #3793  by Adam Bee
 26 Jun 2019, 21:07
Alfred wrote:
<snip>
<snap>
What didn't work about them?

The pictures look real pretty:
https://theapiarist.org/foundationless-frames-update/
 #3796  by Alfred
 27 Jun 2019, 07:42
Adam Bee wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 21:07
Alfred wrote:
<snip>
<snap>
What didn't work about them?

The pictures look real pretty:
https://theapiarist.org/foundationless-frames-update/
Adam,they work fine .I really enjoyed making them and the bees much prefer them over foundation.
I did starter strips ,lolly sticks and some with just the snapout nailed back in at 45degrees to form a point.
Really cost effective.
All with and without bamboo skewers
But the two big downsides are stability-until they attach the comb at the bottom or lower sides you have to be so careful when handling.With my fiesty ladies to deal with that's just one more complication.
The other is drone comb-the bamboo skewers provide stability but so much unneccesary wax work is a drain on resources when they could be doing something productive.
My now failing colony got hold of a frame of starter strip did a whole comb of beautiful drone comb.Now HM is off lay they've filled it with stores.Waste.
The ones I'm leaving are my version of Randy Oliver's (on his drone trapping and sugar dusting section)
I've cut the lugs off an old frame top bar and nailed it inside a deep frame 2/3 down so I can put sheet of shallow foundation in the upper section. The lower section has the option of starter strip lolly stick or snapout.
I would lean towards natural beekeeping and let them decide what they want but letting nature take its course will in some of my hives lead to spring losses and I'd rather not be in that situation again.
 #3807  by Japey Edge
 27 Jun 2019, 13:41
I was thinking about trying the bamboo skewer method, but was put off by the thought of a lot of drone comb. I ran out of wired foundation so I cut a strip of my shallow unwired foundation to put in my last brood frame. They have drawn most of it out, with a LOT of drone comb. I also can't turn this frame without risking the comb falling out.

I have wired foundation now and some frames made up. I might just replace this frame since there's barely anything in it.
 #3809  by Alfred
 27 Jun 2019, 19:29
Give it a go if the colony is prolific-my industrious hive makes short work of anything I put in and you wouldn't know any of it was foundationless unless you look really hard.Luckily I inscribed the top bar with the type!
It's the smaller groups that just mess about and that has to stop now.
Grumpyness aside it was really satisfying to see them make use of the home made stuff and I will no doubt try it again once I have things in better shape.
Good luck to you
 #3810  by NigelP
 27 Jun 2019, 19:38
Small tip.....
In spring early summer ...if you give bees a choice of what they can draw...it will be a,lot of drone brood. They want to reproduce and need drones. They will also "force" drone sized cells on worker foundation.
Do the same late August/September.....worker only.