BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Land for hives?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #1941  by hilly
 16 Feb 2019, 13:51
We have 2 hives in our garden and just had a quick check on them they seem to be happy with lots of stores, which is all good!

My question is I’m looking to do a couple of splits this year and as such I think we may be outgrowing our garden. How do you guys find land for hives. I’m just worried about public places as there seems to be so much “hive bashing” happening.
 #1942  by Jim Norfolk
 16 Feb 2019, 14:43
Local association secretaries sometimes send out contacts from people who would like bees on their land. Fruit farms may have space although I expect most already have bees. I had my out appiary on a local soft fruit farm. They never did very well, partly I suspect because foraging bees got stuck in the plastic tunnels.
 #1943  by Cable_Fairy
 16 Feb 2019, 14:54
Is there a secure allotment locally, they will no doubt have an overgrown corner no one is using.
 #1944  by Chrisbarlow
 16 Feb 2019, 16:05
Knocking on farmers doors and politely asking.

I do talks about beekeeping and if I'm looking for a site I ask the audience. I have had positive results on the back of this.

Where I sell my honey, I've put up signs before now asking for apiary sites and again have had positive results.

Putting a sign up at work that I'm looking for an apiary site, it's surprising what contacts and info colleagues can come up with.

Talking to other beekeepers in an area to ask if they know of anyone or are giving up a site
 #1945  by Steve (The Drone)
 16 Feb 2019, 18:09
Hilly, it depends quite where you live. If you are close to rural then try putting up a request on the local notice board. These days farmers are quite keen on green credentials and an apiary, however small, ticks the box. If you are lucky to get a choice then remember to assess them. Ease of access, no hazard from livestock or horses, out of sight from 2 legged molestors, out of a wind or frost trap. I don’t know how long you have been in the art but if you are unsure- take someone from the local association to help. Good Luck
 #1948  by Patrick
 16 Feb 2019, 18:59
If by splits you mean increasing your numbers then you may need more room.

If on the other hand you are thinking of splits for swarm control etc then don’t forget you can split vertically as well with the same footprint and much less additional equipment.

The only thing I would add to previous suggestions on finding other land is its always useful to have another fall back plot in mind in case the other option suddenly goes wrong - whether it be an owner change of mind after getting personally or their stock getting stung etc, change of suitability due to flooding / mud / use by new graziers, whatever. A short period of queenlessness outside a flow can make a previously welcome hive more tricky and I would always simply remove a hive as soon as a problem arose than wait for it to become an issue.