BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Bloody Matchsticks

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #1762  by NigelP
 26 Jan 2019, 18:10
Had to throw this months BBKA mag on the fire in total disgust.
p43, Gareth Morgan...Feb in thre Apiary.. " I always put four matchsticks, or similar, diagonally across each corner of the crown board to help create a chimney effect".
I give up....what ruddy century are these dinosaurs living in.
No wonder the BBKA are often laughingly referred to as "matchstick men"....
 #1765  by Chrisbarlow
 26 Jan 2019, 18:21
:D :D :D :D

I never read that but that's a shame NP, the peice on the Asian hornet was well worth a read.
 #1769  by AdamD
 27 Jan 2019, 10:19
It would be an interesting exercise for the BBKA to change their winter loss survey by adding in another question in order to compare the survival of colonies with:-
a) a wooden box with no insulation and a 'chimney' effect
b) a wooden box with insulated roof
c) a polyhive

My expectation is that a) would suffer more isolation starvation due to the cold or or just plain starvation due to more food consumed that b) or c). From my own experience, I would anticipate there being little difference between a WBC and National - although a wider survey might give a statistically meaningful answer.

I am still of the opinion that there is no reason why winter losses should be any worse that 10% per year on average; this is unfortunately not the case. Many books have only a vague reference to preparing the colony for winter and I suspect some associations also give poor advice.

https://www.bbka.org.uk/news/english-honeybees-suffered-badly-this-winter
 #1771  by Chrisbarlow
 27 Jan 2019, 10:34
It would be a good idea to include in the questionaire more requests for info about management techniques.

Having looked at the losses rate, round me, a lot most far more. 2017/2018 winter due to the beast was a grim winter.
 #1774  by Jim Norfolk
 27 Jan 2019, 11:22
The article is in the space which might be regarded by readers as advice for beginners. The author does say it is what he does so may not be official BBKA policy. I think we need clear guidance for beginners on the best way to over winter various hive types with scientifically backed reasoning for the prescribed actions.
 #1785  by Patrick
 27 Jan 2019, 20:33
Interesting to note that on the face of it the southern and south west beekeepers seemed to suffer higher losses last winter compared to the previous year, than more northerly beekeepers experienced.

Interesting to know whether that really was the case, and if so why. I would like to think it is more than simply us southerner softies having snowflake bees.. :D .
 #1786  by Cable_Fairy
 27 Jan 2019, 22:28
Jim Norfolk wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 11:22
I think we need clear guidance for beginners on the best way to over winter various hive types with scientifically backed reasoning for the prescribed actions.
I have just reviewed my notes from last years basic introduction to beekeeping, there is nothing about winterising a hive. I have read all the advice on this forum and acted upon it hoping that I am doing right, so far it appears to be working. Thanks one and all.
 #1787  by nealh
 28 Jan 2019, 09:58
I still use them in the apiaries but only for smoker lighting and the fire at home.

So do these matchstick men and maybe women leave their loft hatch open in the winter ? I doubt it, probably from the fear of getting cold !!!

I expect there may be a matchtick man or two at ny local BKA but have never asked but for a chuckle may do so one day, I very seldom go nowadays. Though the apiary managment do leave the loft hatch open all year round so jaut as bad when it comes to heat loss and draught.
 #1794  by thewoodgatherer
 29 Jan 2019, 13:34
I have been monitoring the moisture in my hives this year and am using bottom boards in my OMF with two 3-inch holes cut to give some ventilation rather than closed up, but not as much as fully open. As been studied before simple thermodynamics mean that the heat from the cluster draws air up in the middle which then cools down against the sides so that in reality, I get drips of condensation around the edges of the boards. This seam ideal to me as the bees being more or less in the centre of the hive are nice and dry, the insulation above the crown board prevents any condensation collecting directly above the bees and the gentle flow of fresh air from below gives good natural ventilation.
I guess they would in most cases survive with the bottom completely open, match sticks under the crown board and no insulation above, but with all that ventilation they would also be using up those stores and also burning themselves out to keep warm.
 #1801  by Steve (The Drone)
 30 Jan 2019, 16:53
Quite agree, I insulate the hive sides and especially the roof. The verroa boards remain in. As I also use acrilic crown boards then it is easy to see that any condensation only gathers at the edges. This is then available to the bees when feeding fondant.
Using matchsticks creates a flow of fresh air entering the hive. If this is entering at, say, 5 degrees C and 95% humidity, then when it is heated up by the bees to 32degrees or higher then the humidity drastically reduces. Bees evolved to live in high temperatures and humidity. Matchsticks don't help them maintain this.