BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• White bees

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #57  by Bobsbees
 22 Jul 2018, 15:56
What is making my bees look a bit white?
 #67  by Patrick
 22 Jul 2018, 17:19
Hi Bobsbees and welcome to the Forum.

Agree with Johnnie, reckon you are seeing the first of the “ghost bees” ! They signify your bees have found some flowering Hymalayan balsam. It’s quite early this year apparently. Some of my bees do so well on it even after taking a crop they more than gather enough for a double brood colony to overwinter on its own stores.

As it usually flowers after I have taken off honey I don’t usually take it but it makes a very pale clear honey of quite light flavour.
 #348  by nealh
 19 Aug 2018, 12:47
Several years ago I took off about 50lbs of Balsam honey late Sept as they were working it on overtime, but since my bees appear to give it a miss with only a few ghosts showing up.
I think it's hit or miss if they find it, if they do they bring in plenty or they just don't find it even within a k/m.

Last couple of years two of my colonies has done quite well with pine tree honey aka honeydew so wating to see if they find any. All reliant on the aphids as well.
Nice thick dark honey with a rich taste and quite sweet takes forever to set then eventually sets lovely thick and soft.