BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Advice on finding a site

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #1165  by Maggie
 23 Oct 2018, 17:20
Hi

I am a local Councillor for Bayswater ward in Westminster. A constituent asked my advice on having a beehive. He did have one on his roof but his neighbours objected. He is experienced and qualified. Any advice please on how to find a site for a hive in busy Bayswater. Thanks 😀
 #1167  by nealh
 23 Oct 2018, 18:10
A quiet corner in an allotment if the holders and committee agree, any open crops to be pollinated would increase produce yield for the growers if the bees make use of them.
 #1171  by Chrisbarlow
 23 Oct 2018, 20:36
are there any hotels in the area with flat roofs. Its always good PR for the hotel and they can be really good places for hives.
 #1173  by AdamD
 24 Oct 2018, 09:03
One of my work colleagues went to a seminar on ISO14001 - the Environmental qualification - and the lecturer said that having "bees at the office" ticked a lot of boxes and was a recommended action in preparation of getting ISO14001 accreditation. Therefore there may be a business nearby that would be happy to accommodate bees. Your constituent could also look up local beekeeping associations; most are part of the BBKA but not all of them. My own association often has 'apiary sites offered' in the regular magazine and this may be the case for one locally to you. Alternatively a beekeeping association may have space at their own apiary site - at least temporarily until a permanent site can be located.
 #1176  by nealh
 24 Oct 2018, 09:49
An Network rail office site near to me has gone totally green with a new office/opps centre, green roof and ground level gardens, rain watar collection etc,etc for toilets and washing facilities. I have two colonies in place all are secured behind security fencing, the work force there have got use to them now but visitors don't realise they are there despite being in view. Colour wise they blend into the landscape a little.
 #1178  by Patrick
 24 Oct 2018, 17:09
My only advice about situating hive (s) on other people’s land is to have a back up location in mind that you can move the hive (s) to in the event of a sudden change of mind on the part of the host or needing an alternative site.

Not a bad idea to bear in mind for anyone actually.
 #1405  by Howard
 22 Nov 2018, 11:52
Maggie,
Other good potential source can be churchyards. Often set up as nature areas, I have an apiary in our local churchyard in an area set aside for wild flowers. Agreed by the church committee - and supported too by the diocese to fund bee suits for children as we establish a bee club in the local school opposite.
Schools themselves too if they have a quiet area in their grounds ?
Good luck !