BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Eat Natural after beekeepers

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #1059  by DianeBees
 13 Oct 2018, 12:10
And they're after 100 more beekeepers. Closing date for entries is 11:59pm GMT on 31st October 2018.
https://pollenation.eatnatural.com/bee- ... plication/

From the page:
We now have 100 beekeepers from Cornwall to John O’Groats (really!), who have taken to the craft like bees to honey. Now we’re on the hunt for the next batch of 100 enthusiastic recruits – and you could be one of the lucky ones.

Our ‘new-bees’ will get all the help, support and equipment they’ll need to get started on their journey – from protective clothing and tools to a state-of-the-art Eat Natural beehive. Twenty-five specially selected community projects will be kitted out with Arnia remote hive monitoring technology.
 #1388  by AdamT
 20 Nov 2018, 19:46
Hello, So did anyone have any success at being chosen? I sent in an application form...but didnt hear anything.

Oh well, back to plan A and looking forward to taking ownershio of my first nuc in April next year.
 #1389  by Patrick
 20 Nov 2018, 22:51
All I can say Adam is sometimes it’s better to start with kit you have chosen for yourself rather than what someone else has chosen for you, based on maybe their priorities rather than yours.

I have seen some examples of online beekeeping starter outfits that were simply poor and not fit for purpose. Unfortunately beginners are often fobbed off with cheap as possible option “in case you decide beekeeping is not for you” and thereby make it self-fulfilling as you battle inadequate kit and give up the struggle.

Not suggesting the case with the initiative mentioned above as I know nothing about them.

For me a case on point is lumbering beginners with thin half smocks on cost grounds and consigning them to stings they need not suffer, only later to buy a full suit anyway.

I know there are beekeepers who insist in handling bees without any protection in the belief it demonstrates their superiority in handling, just as there are motorcyclists who probably decline to wear helmets as they are too good to ever fall off or commercial pilots who land airliners blindfolded using only The Force..

My respect for them is unbelievable. ;)