BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Single origin honey

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #971  by DianeBees
 06 Oct 2018, 13:33
What does single origin mean in terms of honey?

https://thelondonhoneycompany.co.uk/pro ... -selection
This company sells a box of 'single origin' honeys - which include borage, Bell heather, Isle of Purbeck, Shropshire, Oxfordshire and Field bean honeys.

The honey regulations http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/1348/made

(3) The product name of a relevant honey may be supplemented by information relating to its floral or vegetable origin but no person may trade in a relevant honey for which such supplemental information is provided unless the product comes wholly or mainly from the indicated source and possesses the organoleptic, physico-chemical and microscopic characteristics of the source.

(4) The product name of a relevant honey may be supplemented by information relating to its regional, territorial or topographical origin but no person may trade in a relevant honey for which such supplemental information is provided unless the product comes entirely from the indicated origin.

As long as names aren't misleading... for instance having a honey that wasn't heather honey from "Heather House Apiaries" might possibly be misleading, as would having a bell heather flower on the label of honey that wasn't heather honey.

Use of the word 'single' makes me think of the part (3) about 'wholly or mainly from the indicated source'
but I accept it could be interpreted as part (4) where honey is gathered from one ' regional, territorial or topographical origin'
I don't know how small an area you could define though as bees could fly up to 3 miles to collect nectar to make their honey with.

Where I keep my bees I would not call my honey Oldham honey as I am the border with Manchester and would have no way of knowing whether the bees got most of the nectar from Oldham or Manchester. Someone further into Oldham could though quite easily call theirs Oldham honey.
There is nothing wrong with using an apiary name on the label as long as it isn't misleading as above.
 #978  by NigelP
 06 Oct 2018, 16:04
You need to analyse the pollen in a honey and if the predominant pollen is from one plant then you are fine to go with Borage/Heather etc.
My Borage honey is between 70-80% Borage Pollen and my heather honey is between 90 to 99% heather pollen.
And both are also advertised as produce of North Yorkshire.\
 #982  by Chrisbarlow
 06 Oct 2018, 17:53
I sell mine as Leeds honey as it all comes from the leeds area. I do sell heather blended honey which is heather honey mixed with normal runny honey. This is because I never get enough heather honey and adding runny honey bulks it out. It still tastes of just heather honey but the consistency is now runny .