BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Ivy Flow

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #951  by Jim Norfolk
 05 Oct 2018, 14:28
I weighed my two hives today and found that they had increased by 6 and 10 kg respectively over the last fortnight. The Varroa boards showed lots of ivy pollen and even the occasional ivy anther the bees have brought back. That and the smell suggest a very strong ivy flow this year. Most years I have seen a small increase in weight during ivy time but this year is enormous by comparison. Lots of bees, abundant ivy nearby and mild sunny weather.

The question is do they use up the honey "last in first out" or will I be stuck with loads frames of set ivy honey come spring? In previous years I have only found small patches of ivy honey and the bees have removed it from the brood area in spring, leaving piles of crystalllised honey on the Varroa board.
 #954  by nealh
 05 Oct 2018, 15:00
I find ivy is used up lastly going by the crystals found in late winter/early spring going on insert or ground debris. Ivy needs more moisture to use up though this can be found in the hive from condensation/ damp.

Certainly verrrry busy at the mo, with ivy foraging. Yesterday late afternoon/early evening they were still going at it hammer and tongs until dusk and the aroma is pretty strong now, it is made easier for my bees as within 30 feet there are two very tall beech trees smothered in flowering ivy.
 #956  by nealh
 05 Oct 2018, 16:00
Seeing Jim's remarks about hive weight increase, prompted me in this lovely warm heat today to check on three colonies last inspected on 17 Sept. Here the strong ivy aroma around the hives has only been noticeable in the last 7-10 days.
Two I have on B&H and have added another super on top in hope of a late ivy crop. Hive #6 I haven't fed yet and had 20lbs of stores, now this is up to 35lbs.
Hive #1 likewise on B&H had 16lbs of stores I had bolstered them with 8 pints of syrup, now up to about 38lbs of stores.
Third colony I Iooked at is a made up 6 frame BS nuc with a June S/S QC, now quite rammed with bees so Monday I added a 6 frame super above this now has 3 frames quite full with fresh stores.

Weather here in West Sussex in the N/E of the county is warm and about 21c today, next week temps are looking very good still and 17 -19c is forecast with sunny spells.
 #1010  by thewoodgatherer
 08 Oct 2018, 07:33
From the pollen coming back my three are working the ivy and living ruraly we have plenty around. However I'm pretty convinced they are not bring back much if any nectar as the only weight going in is from my syrup and even that is small.