BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Varroa

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #945  by Jim Norfolk
 04 Oct 2018, 12:57
Nigel I have a couple of graphs of my data. One shows the mite drop before Apiguard and the total drop over two weeks after. There are no surprises in the data. If mites are low before there is never a big drop afterwards. The other shows daily mite drop before and after dusting the brood box with icing sugar. Again most points are pretty close to being on a straight line. So as I say it works for me. Whether the information is of any practical use to busy beekeepers rather than amateurs who like recording and measuring stuff I leave that to you.
 #946  by NigelP
 04 Oct 2018, 13:32
Jim, I know better than to argue against your data...
But it simply doesn't work for me and many others. Low drops often equate to huge drops after OA vaporization. High drops...I don't want to go there....
It would be interesting to see how the efficacy of apiguard stacks up in different climates. Most of my hives come back from the moors mid-Sept and far too cold to use that stuff up here, but lots do because they told it works...and lots up here lose hives every year to varroa because it simply doesn't work effectively at this time of the year uuup North.

I don't quite know what the answer is but more emphasis on details about relevant times and temps for different applications should be compulsory.

I'm assuming you treat in mid august? About 4-5 weeks ahead of us. We still have a slight balsam flow at the moment and ivy is yielding pollen.
 #947  by Jim Norfolk
 04 Oct 2018, 14:48
Nigel as you know, Apiguard needs warmth and the active participation of the bees to be fully effective. This year I treated early (the two red squares) when mite levels were still very low. In the past if it got late I used MAQS which worked well at lower temperatures. I am moving towards vaping which I will use at the end of next season. I am making a modified eke to allow me to get my Varrox between the mesh floor and the bottom box in my WBCs.

I think it is wise not to trust mite drop data. I think the idea is that if you get a high mite drop you have a serious Varroa problem. If you see a low drop then it may be OK but it would be wise to use another method to check it. As I monitor Varroa long term (an excuse to visit the bees) I have a fair idea of where mite levels are compared to a one off spot check which most people probably do.