BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• AH found on the South Coast ?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #1078  by nealh
 14 Oct 2018, 22:22
Another siting in Dungeness, it is said pics are on Facey thingy and SBI's investigating.
Two V.v's reported by non beekeeper.
 #1080  by nealh
 15 Oct 2018, 09:25
Confirmation should be out eventually about this siting as three V.'s were noticed and one is a male.
Pic on Faceythingy is V.v.
 #1088  by Jim Norfolk
 15 Oct 2018, 17:01
The latest government update 4th October states:

Current situation

To date, there have been twelve confirmed sightings of the Asian hornet in England and six nests have been destroyed.

Eight of these sightings occurred in 2018; an individual hornet in Lancashire (April) and Hull, three in Cornwall, two in Hampshire and the latest sighting in Surrey (all September).

Add in the latest sighting and I would say AH now has a bridgehead in the south of England. Difficult to see how they can be stopped.
 #1089  by AdamD
 15 Oct 2018, 18:58
The BBKA map now has 11 sightings for this year and 5 for last. (Including the channel islands). I think that we all hope you are wrong Jim, but it would appear that the hornet has landed. :(
The only encouraging thing is that there have been no sightings around the area in 2016 in the two following years which would make me think that the control measures worked.

https://www.bbka.org.uk/asian-hornet-map

Anyone want to take part in a sweepstake for how many sightings we'll have in next year? I'll start off at 50.
 #1091  by nealh
 15 Oct 2018, 21:43
The siting's in Dungeness isn't to surprising considering the proximity to Folkstone , Dover & Ashford, there is no way of prevent these blighters from hitching a lift across the 20 odd miles certainly easier then flying. The only surprising thing is they have not been seen in the Weald area before now.
Although NBU are dealing with any siting quickly and efficiently, we are probably now entering in to the possibility of a nest or a few going undetected if not this year most certainly next year.

Spring sweet monitoring traps are going to be needed for sure from all beeks.
 #1093  by Chrisbarlow
 15 Oct 2018, 21:47
AdamD wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 18:58
Anyone want to take part in a sweepstake for how many sightings we'll have in next year? I'll start off at 50.
38 :?
 #1107  by DianeBees
 16 Oct 2018, 11:17
nealh wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 21:43
The siting's in Dungeness isn't to surprising considering the proximity to Folkstone , Dover & Ashford, there is no way of prevent these blighters from hitching a lift across the 20 odd miles certainly easier then flying. The only surprising thing is they have not been seen in the Weald area before now.

Are they in that bit of France that its close to?

Trying to find the latest map of France. Were there some in that plos research paper?
This one is from 2013 so very out of date.
http://amisdekervoyal.viabloga.com/news ... -asiatique
 #1116  by nealh
 16 Oct 2018, 19:22
From what I read of blogs from UK nationals living in the area, yes AH/V.v is alive and well in the Pas de Calais region.
They don't even need to be in the pas de Calais area as they can easily hitch a ride on any vehicle from any where in France to come over here.