BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Deleted topic

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #732  by Patrick
 22 Sep 2018, 12:53
After discussion with Adam, I have concluded that a recent topic relating to the actions or otherwise of named individuals in relation to a related Facebook site was potentially in breach of the sites terms and conditions of use and in this exceptional case concluded the entire topic should be deleted.

We did not feel that this public space is the appropriate area for discussion of actions or inactions of named private individuals unknown to the majority of people viewing.

I for one don't get my jollies from deleting posts or topics. I don't have any interest in making a habit of it.

To those whose incidental posts were deleted along the way I sincerely apologise,

Thanks Patrick
 #735  by Nigel Pringle
 22 Sep 2018, 18:25
mmmmm. Sometimes these posts are good to be left visible as monuments to the stupidity of others (or how seriously they all take themselves)...
I sort of don't agree with deleting them...if we are going to delete posts we don't like or are uncomfortable with then we are no better than the facebook site that deleted posts on a very regular basis.
Just my thoughts ;)
 #738  by Patrick
 22 Sep 2018, 18:57
Generally I agree with that principle too, Nigel. As I say, I have no interest in banning things, least of all stopping people saying things I just happen not to agree with. That was not the issue here.

At the bottom of the page is a link to the Terms under which we all agree to post. Several of these were in clear contradiction with parts of the contents of that thread.
 #739  by madasafish
 22 Sep 2018, 20:05
The previous but one BBKA forum fell into disrepute from over strict moderation.
The entire text of this deleted topic is available for others to view on a beekeeping Facebook page.

Without wishing to state the obvious, deleting posts when they are available elesewhere invites ridicule . It also suggests there is something to hide.
 #745  by psafloyd
 23 Sep 2018, 09:37
Patrick wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 12:53
After discussion with Adam, I have concluded that a recent topic relating to the actions or otherwise of named individuals in relation to a related Facebook site was potentially in breach of the sites terms and conditions of use and in this exceptional case concluded the entire topic should be deleted.

We did not feel that this public space is the appropriate area for discussion of actions or inactions of named private individuals unknown to the majority of people viewing.

I for one don't get my jollies from deleting posts or topics. I don't have any interest in making a habit of it.

To those whose incidental posts were deleted along the way I sincerely apologise,

Thanks Patrick
Patrick,

Would you mind explaining how the discussion breached the terms. I'm interested which in particular were breached – or in danger of being breached.

Then, please explain why you failed to take action earlier, because you seemed perfectly happy for the post to remain up until the party being discussed gave her – very detailed and reasoned – response.

I look forward to your response.

Many thanks.
 #746  by psafloyd
 23 Sep 2018, 09:40
madasafish wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 20:05
The previous but one BBKA forum fell into disrepute from over strict moderation.
The entire text of this deleted topic is available for others to view on a beekeeping Facebook page.

Without wishing to state the obvious, deleting posts when they are available elesewhere invites ridicule . It also suggests there is something to hide.
Quite right, madasafish.
 #773  by AdamD
 24 Sep 2018, 09:46
I understand your views guys. However my response to this is that it could be 'dammed if you do, dammed if you don't'. My personal view is that I am more than happy for comment or criticism of the BBKA (or me for that matter) to be aired on this forum however if it strays to others who are not involved in the forum, then there are times that we should allow that discussion to happen elsewhere rather than here. (FWIW, I have no inside information of what goes on behind the closed doors of the BBKA and I am sometimes surprised as to what has escaped from that inner sanctum!).
 #779  by psafloyd
 24 Sep 2018, 13:55
AdamD wrote:Patrick,

Would you mind explaining how the discussion breached the terms. I'm interested which in particular were breached – or in danger of being breached.

Then, please explain why you failed to take action earlier, because you seemed perfectly happy for the post to remain up until the party being discussed gave her – very detailed and reasoned – response.

Many thanks.
Adam,

I understand your position, but would you mind addressing the concerns I raised in my questions to Patrick yesterday – I'll post them below. You should be able to give us a specific reason for your decision.

After all, it was the original poster who mentioned names and who was given an outlet to give what appears to be a very one sided (erroneous) explanation.

Many thanks,

Pádraig

QUESTIONS BELOW:

Patrick,

Would you mind explaining how the discussion breached the terms. I'm interested which in particular were breached – or in danger of being breached.

Then, please explain why you failed to take action earlier, because you seemed perfectly happy for the post to remain up until the party being discussed gave her – very detailed and reasoned – response.

Many thanks.
 #781  by AdamD
 24 Sep 2018, 16:31
Pádraig, I sent you a pm earlier in the day which I hope answers your question.
(You need to click on your name and then go to the messages box).
 #790  by psafloyd
 25 Sep 2018, 09:20
AdamD wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 16:31
Pádraig, I sent you a pm earlier in the day which I hope answers your question.
(You need to click on your name and then go to the messages box).
Thanks, Adam. I have sent you a response.