British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Unexpected Ivy Mining Bees

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #676  by SarahPem
 18 Sep 2018, 16:56
DF06D7F1-D3FF-4C40-B8E6-9CBC0B87693D.jpeg
Hello!

We’ve been digging earth to sow grass (previously covered by some mouldy old Astro) and just before we’ve reached the end of the space some bees have arrived! The very kind staff of the BBKA Twitter feed has identified them as Ivy Mining Bees. There are quite a few and they’ve all busily dug themselves some holes. I don’t want to disturb them or wreck their nests but I’m wondering what the best course of action is? I’m happy to leave that section of earth for now but how long do the bees need? Ideally it needs digging over before I can sow grass there but if there are going to be larvae in the ground for months that’s not going to be an option and I don’t want to accidentally dig them up before they’re ready to leave! I don’t mind them coming back in the future but I’m not sure what to do with them now and when I can get on with the lawn! Any information gladly and gratefully received!

Thanks,

Sarah
 #679  by Nigel Pringle
 18 Sep 2018, 17:44
Not good news as far as your lawn is concerned....The Females lay eggs in these burrows which hatch, pupate and emerge the following autumn..
I think would just get on with it and let them take their chance. They will re-dig burrows.