BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Wasps

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #13867  by MickBBKA
 04 Jul 2023, 23:54
They have turned up at all apiaries and in the garden in numbers a month early this year. There is obviously a real problem in this area as over the last 3 or 4 years they have become a nightmare, maybe its the warm winters. I have killed numerous queens over winter and early spring with one colony having 12 queens trying to hibernate under the roof. Wasp traps going out tomorrow. :evil:
 #13868  by NigelP
 05 Jul 2023, 08:03
Same, here, but fortunately not in any numbers.
I installed Thornes Hive Gate (plus periscope) on most of my nucs last season. Thye are long tunnel entrances which can also be used on a hive (minus periscope). Very effective wasp deterrents, not cheap but a live hive of bees is worth 20x more.

#13871  by Alfred
 05 Jul 2023, 16:04
They seem to be a problem in alternate years for us.
They have started to make an appearance though.
Still haven't got round to making some Steve's tunnel entrances but got the Mick Wasp Traps replenished this-afty though.
 #13883  by AdamD
 07 Jul 2023, 20:51
Have you found a good mix to attract the wasps into the containers?
 #13886  by Alfred
 08 Jul 2023, 12:31
Last year it was just syrup
This year I'm trying chopped banana peel,vinegar,and fermented honey added to water.
Yum.
It's claimed to attract waxmoth too.
The vinegar is said to repel bees.

Fishy water and custard is,er.. on the menu if that doesn't work.
Cheap cola and sugar didn't.
The swarm calls have mutated into wasp calls this week so pest control companies will now be making a bit of profit
 #13887  by JoJo36
 08 Jul 2023, 13:01
I've used sugary water with jam and wet dog food!! Husband not keen but the maps like it!! :lol:
 #13888  by JoJo36
 08 Jul 2023, 13:02
WASPS!!