BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Reversing Nadired Supers.

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #13500  by Steve 1972
 21 Mar 2023, 18:00
In a bit of a dilema here..usually put the nadired super over the brood box mid April..18thish..in Northumberland by the way..I am lambing at this time and only 20mins away normally..however my hives are are now 80 miles away from the lambing spot with little spare time..do you good people think I can reverse nadired supers soon..all hives are médium weight..one or three have fondant.
 #13504  by AdamD
 22 Mar 2023, 08:52
I am not familiar with the weather in your part of the world, however If now is the only time you can get to them, I would put the super(s) on top. For me, there's usually sufficient stores in the brood box when I do this around now - when I can get to them anyway.
 #13506  by NigelP
 22 Mar 2023, 11:07
I'll be doing that next week with the warm weather forecast. clean floor, brood box, queen excluder and nadired super on top of this.
 #13507  by Cable_Fairy
 22 Mar 2023, 20:47
I have still got my winter wraps on and supers below brood box's, we will be having freezing nights over the weekend.
 #13508  by JoJo36
 23 Mar 2023, 06:42
I've swapped mine around last week!

Still some cold weather forecast however, if the stores are half full then I would have guessed its safe to to the switch?!
 #13509  by MickBBKA
 23 Mar 2023, 19:50
I will leave mine at least another week as below zero temps forecast. There is nothing in flower at my out apiaries yet so nothing to store and 40mph winds forecast next week. Wind was so bad yesterday it tore my car door out of my hands and wrecked the door and wing, probably £600 worth of damage. Love spring weather in Teesside me :(
 #13511  by JoJo36
 24 Mar 2023, 07:35
Blimey Mick, sounds very rough where you are?!
Been a bit windy down south but quite mild temps but raining on and off!!
I think we all need some decent sunny dry weather and for the bees to start building up for the summer!!
It's a nice thought......... :)
 #13526  by MickBBKA
 28 Mar 2023, 01:19
I find it amazing JoJo that the news media are reporting possible drought conditions in the South East already. Apart from February its rained almost every day since the end of October here, everywhere is a swamp. I just keep banging the fondant and pollen sub in to keep them going. :roll:
 #13532  by AdamD
 28 Mar 2023, 20:40
The neglected North East Mick! And I thought you were all part of the Red Wall and in the forefront of peoples minds nowadays!?
The media has always been London-Centric. I suppose that the move by the BBC to Salford was supposed to help with that a little.
The weather has not been too good here either, of late. I tried to inspect some colonies on Saturday but the bees were being blown off the frames as I lifted them up so I gave up. I completed the task on Sunday when it was cooler than Iwould have liked. Certainly not T shirt weather.