BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Protein patties

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #13438  by Ewen
 25 Feb 2023, 09:37
I was wondering if this is good time of the year to place some protein patties to them bees.
 #13441  by Alfred
 25 Feb 2023, 12:37
Watch them on a nice day to see what they're bringing back before you pay out for something most people don't need to buy
 #13442  by MickBBKA
 26 Feb 2023, 08:56
Ewen wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 09:37
I was wondering if this is good time of the year to place some protein patties to them bees.
I am a big advocate for pollen sub and use Pro-Bee. A week ago bees were bringing pollen in but the last 5 days its been very cold and the East winds of death have arrived 3 weeks early this year. It very much depends where you live and local weather patterns. Hazel has finished here, snowdrop, crocus and blackthorn are all in full flower now but its freezing cold so the bees are never going to gather any. By the time it warms up they will be finished. So the only way for me to have strong colonies in time for any nectar flow is to feed a sub. If you get a warm day quickly pop a frame or 2 out with some brood on and check how much pollen is stored near them. Its not unusall for mine to have none at the end of March.
 #13443  by AdamD
 26 Feb 2023, 11:00
My bees usually bring in enough pollen. However some years I have seen what you describe Mick, after a period of cold/wet (often due to east wind) and there has been a brood break due to lack of pollen.