BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• First frost

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #13246  by MickBBKA
 04 Nov 2022, 09:30
I think its the earliest for quite a few years last night, cars frozen. I have just returned from 2 weeks on Orkney to find a colony wiped out by wasps while I was away. Hopefully the drop in temps will see them off. Sick to the back teeth of them this year. I will have to redesign my floors over winter to incorporate the wasp defense entrances when required some of you have suggested.
 #13247  by Alfred
 04 Nov 2022, 14:05
Barely saw a wasp this year and it was a big surprise given the invasion of the previous one.
I put wraps on in the new year and taking them off in spring I found lots of queen's that I squished.I think that may have helped.
Still 6c overnight here even when it's not raining
 #13249  by Cable_Fairy
 04 Nov 2022, 15:13
Not seen many wasps this year, however was talking to my neighbor this morning stood by his ivy hedge which is in flower. It was alive with wasps and bees; my bees are bringing back pollen despite a temperature of 6 degrees.
 #13250  by NigelP
 04 Nov 2022, 17:02
MickBBKA wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 09:30
I think its the earliest for quite a few years last night, cars frozen. I have just returned from 2 weeks on Orkney to find a colony wiped out by wasps while I was away. Hopefully the drop in temps will see them off. Sick to the back teeth of them this year. I will have to redesign my floors over winter to incorporate the wasp defense entrances when required some of you have suggested.
Soft Teessider :D ...we had our first frosts a couple of weeks ago!
Going to be changing all my nucs to the Hive Gate system as it seems to work really well. Expensive, but so is a nuc...
You need the periscope as well for nucs, but just the tunnel for full hives.