BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• BBKA Mag

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #13199  by JoJo36
 08 Oct 2022, 15:18
Sorry forgot to say, I quite like the mag pics!!!!😬
Admittedly I take more advice from you guys than what’s printed but then what do I know?!
On a different note, I’m in Istanbul at the moment and the chestnut honey is ace!!
:D
 #13200  by Alfred
 09 Oct 2022, 07:45
Did you get the wrong bus Jo? ;)
 #13204  by JoJo36
 10 Oct 2022, 06:44
ha ha, i've tasted too much 'mad honey'??!! :D
Tried a few spoons but had no effect as I'm mad already!!
Got lost every day and ended up in honey shops!!!
 #13213  by AdamD
 13 Oct 2022, 16:27
Currently in Crete where Cretian Thyme and Pine honey is about 7 Euros for 250g in the tourist shops. Very thick.
 #13214  by Alfred
 13 Oct 2022, 18:01
Did you get the wrong bus too Adam?
 #13215  by MickBBKA
 14 Oct 2022, 13:26
JoJo36 wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 15:18
On a different note, I’m in Istanbul at the moment and the chestnut honey is ace!!
:D
I owned a second home in Turkey for 10 years and got to know a lot of local bar and restaurant owners very well. They would never use Turkish honey as they said it was full of sugar. One of them even had a brother who was a beekeeper. :shock:
 #13216  by Alfred
 14 Oct 2022, 15:15
I've swapped a jar of our honey for some Polish honey our neighbours brought back
They definitely got the better side of the deal- theirs was tasteless.
 #13217  by JoJo36
 14 Oct 2022, 16:57
Mick, funny you say that because the frame of honey at breakfast for anyone to take a chunk out was tested by myself and it really was nothing but a frame of sugar in terms of taste! The only honey (in a shop) I liked was the chestnut honey as it wasn't too sweet and it tasted of treacle??!!
Alfred, my uncle who is hosting a Ukranian family let me taste the honey they brought with them and it was barely sweet with nothing but a dull ish taste to it, mine is definitely better and tastes floral because my bees are trained to go in neighbours gardens to extract the nectar??!! :lol:
 #13218  by MickBBKA
 16 Oct 2022, 23:35
One thing I very much believe in JoJo is the very obvious aroma and taste of flowers from 'Local Raw Honey'. When I have a stall I always put tasters out for people to try. The comments are always the same no matter where I go. OMG, best honey I have ever tasted, You can smell the flowers, That tastes nothing like the supermarket honey its amazing etc: Now as much as I would like to claim its because my bees make the best honey ever I am humble enough to know that everyone on here will have had the same comments because we don't blend, add sugar and destroy our honey by heat and excessive filtration and all produce amazing honey. For some reason friends, neighbours and family always seem to think they need to bring me a jar of honey back from their holidays and its always crap. We just need the government to get behind local UK produce and promote our fantastic product. By the way, my honey is just ever so slightly better than all of yours, especially Nigels ;) :D :D :D