BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Wax Moth

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #13082  by JoJo36
 24 Aug 2022, 12:15
Wax Moths in brood comb:

Does anyone have an ideas as to stop wax moths without freezing each frame, something that is simple but effective??!!
I don't fancy buying another freezer!! :shock:
 #13084  by NigelP
 24 Aug 2022, 19:27
Sulphur burner from Thornes. But make sure all is well sealed afterwards.
 #13085  by JoJo36
 25 Aug 2022, 04:40
Thanks Nigel!
Sounds a good idea but says repeat every 4 weeks??!! :shock:
I think I need to get rid of lots of supers & especially brood as they are looking a bit naff tbh??!!
I'll need to order some new 'seconds' frames supers and brood & start again for the most, maybe keep back a dozen or two super frames and half a dozen brood frames!!
Thanks for the info as never heard of a sulphur burner! :D
 #13086  by NigelP
 25 Aug 2022, 07:54
I think the repeat every 4 weeks is just designed to get you to burn more strips and then have to buy more.
Once I've burnt and killed any insect life, they get sealed and left for the winter. Except for the mould over pollen filled cells all is fine, unless you leave any opening into which Mrs wax moth can enter. Old wooden boxes are notorious for this.
 #13087  by Alfred
 25 Aug 2022, 07:59
I have an old freezer that I use to rotate spare comb with the working freezer.
The boxes have a few weeks at sub zero then swap into the non working freezer which has acetic acid pots in the base.
 #13088  by AdamD
 25 Aug 2022, 11:11
Sulphur strips do work; don't breathe the fumes in as they will suddenly get you which is not fun (and not safe) but also beware that they get hotter than you might think so if you enclose the supers by a crown-board for example, any plastic parts close to the burner - such as trapiziodal bee escapes - may melt.
I still have some stips somewhere, however I have the luxury of having a freezer in which I place supers before storage so I haven't used the strips for some time.
 #13089  by JoJo36
 25 Aug 2022, 14:50
Thanks all!!
I'm going for the 'freezer method' at the moment and just leaving them in for a day (10 frames) is all I can fit in with my other rubbish (necessities)!!! :)
I'll then stack and put newspaper in between and hope no moths seek them out!! :shock:
 #13090  by Alfred
 25 Aug 2022, 18:53
You'll need something better Jo -strapped down between a tinfoil lined crownboard or paving slab.
No gaps
The adult moth is a slinky creature and the offspring will gnaw into virtually anything organic.
 #13091  by JoJo36
 25 Aug 2022, 20:32
Yeah maybe some bricks on top would keep it squashed down!
Good idea!! :D
 #13092  by AdamD
 26 Aug 2022, 09:04
Wax moth will also eat polystyrene which can't be too much fun. I have a Swibine mini-nuc where they have made a hole in the feeder which I didn't notice until the syrup came straight out of the bottom.