BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Group Membership

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #12403  by Ightenhillbees
 29 Jan 2022, 14:29
I mentor a community group of beekeepers.

They are all BBKA Members following my encouragement.

However, when it comes to disease insurance, they cannot register as a group, but one of them has to register as "the owner" of the bees for insurance though the bees are actually owned as a group. They have had a long discussion with the BDI people but have been unable to resolve this issue.

The local association, through which they joined BBKA, is now considering barring them from entering their annual honey show "as a group".

There are many such community groups, I believe, who do a lot to promote beekeeping and the welfare of bees in the community, but the BBKA and its local associations doesn't want to recognise them as valuable members of the beekeeping community.

David
 #12404  by Patrick
 29 Jan 2022, 23:36
Sounds a tricky problem David.

Obviously I don't know anymore than you have reported but I know the complications of informal and not officially recognised "groups" owning or managing things. We had a similar issue when leasing a piece of land and subsequently applying for grants as an informal community group. Of the available options, the simplest was to form a limited company, making an officially recognised entity that could sign paperwork make applications and receive funding.

For entering honey shows, I can see how that might be an issue. Our local honey show rules state that the entries have to be the products of that individual beekeeper. It probably doesn't really envisage group honey production beyond maybe the same family. If numerous people all enter essentially the same honey in which their personal involvement might range from everything to nothing to do with its production, then I can see the committee considering it problematic if they have a similarly worded rule. I don't take honey shows that seriously personally, but that is not universally true.

I don't speak on behalf of the BBKA but I am sure plenty of community groups do a great job for bees. Whether as a registered charity with a historically established structure it does or should reflect how all beekeepers choose to pursue their beekeeping interests, that's a very good question.
 #12405  by Alfred
 30 Jan 2022, 13:30
Probably missing the point but what is the problem nominating( naming) one person and continue as a happy shiny group with the minor formality pinned to the back of the shed door.
As an example If you go into a supermarket ,somewhere you will see the licencees name even though that person may have nothing to do with alcohol sales.

As for the honey show,if the group can't get over one person's name on the winners podium then they aren't really in it for the"welfare of the bees"
 #12406  by NigelP
 30 Jan 2022, 17:01
Alternatively register the group as an individual member. Stretching things but gets around the idea of a group within a group which seems to be the issue.
 #12407  by Ightenhillbees
 30 Jan 2022, 18:06
That's what they've effectively had to do but it's not ideal as, in a community group, one person isn't always around and may not stay as a member of the group.

It's more the principle that the BBKA doesn't recognise group membership. They seem however to accept schools as members though I suspect one person (headteacher maybe) has to be the nominated member.

Assuming the BBKA hierarchy don't read everything on the forum, it's probably best that I email them directly.

David
 #12408  by AdamD
 31 Jan 2022, 10:41
Trustee Diane Drinkwater posts on here now and again, However Trustees of the BBKA are shown on the website - you could email them directly.
Alternatively, you might be able to speak to your association and get them to put in a request (a motion?) to the Annual Delegates Meeting to recognise groups such as yours.
 #12409  by MickBBKA
 31 Jan 2022, 15:49
As far as honey shows go I don't think its really within the spirit of the show for a group to be making entries as an individual, a group however made up is not an individual. Why then would individuals want to compete against a group which could contain quite expert members. I can think of just 4 or 5 people in my local area who if combined could pretty much wipe the floor at events. Its supposed to be fun but where would the fun in that be ? Why not have a colony each and hold your own in house event against each other ? A section at 'open' events for named groups may be an interesting option though.