BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Best way to correct an error?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #8785  by AndrewLD
 07 Sep 2020, 08:50
During a "senior moment" I took off the QE's intending to return and nadir - but I got distracted then delayed :(
I now have 14x12's with a super on top and no QE. Been like that for more than a week and with all that is going on (roofers!) I am not likely to get in there for at least another week when I put the wet supers on for cleaning.
Too late to nadir? Is it best to leave things as they are or can I just go ahead and nadir and let them sort out the mess?
 #8786  by Steve 1972
 07 Sep 2020, 09:28
You could leave it go through winter like that..come first inspections in spring get the Queen in the brood box and stick the Queen excluder back on..
 #8790  by Chrisbarlow
 07 Sep 2020, 17:09
I would just nadir and let them sort out whatever is there.

I suspect it doesn't matter.
 #8791  by NigelP
 07 Sep 2020, 17:45
AndrewLD wrote:

Too late to nadir? Is it best to leave things as they are or can I just go ahead and nadir and let them sort out the mess?
Good weather ahead....do as you wish whenever it's suitable. It's not too late to do anything.
We still have bees on the moors and will decide this weekend as to weather (sic) we bring them back or leave for longer. All will need varroa treating and feeding...which is going to be late Sept through to the end of Oct.
 #8793  by Steve 1972
 07 Sep 2020, 21:33
I do not know what i have done wrong to cause the mess i am in but forage is barely here in Northumberland..out of five colonies three where desperate for help and two ticking over ok..i pulled supers 3wks ago to extract and left full supers on every colony for them to cap..all them supers i wanted capping are totally empty and so is the brood boxes on three of them..
I fed 4litres of 2:1 yesterday to three and it was gone today..it was topped up again..weird year is a understatment..
 #8794  by Chrisbarlow
 07 Sep 2020, 23:33
NigelP wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 17:45
AndrewLD wrote:

Good weather ahead....do as you wish whenever it's suitable. It's not too late to do anything.
We still have bees on the moors and will decide this weekend as to weather (sic) we bring them back or leave for longer. All will need varroa treating and feeding...which is going to be late Sept through to the end of Oct.
Whats the blossom like at the moment on the moors? I know you were initially thinking of bringing them back this coming week
 #8795  by Chrisbarlow
 07 Sep 2020, 23:36
Steve 1972 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 21:33
I do not know what i have done wrong to cause the mess i am in but forage is barely here in Northumberland..out of five colonies three where desperate for help and two ticking over ok..i pulled supers 3wks ago to extract and left full supers on every colony for them to cap..all them supers i wanted capping are totally empty and so is the brood boxes on three of them..
I fed 4litres of 2:1 yesterday to three and it was gone today..it was topped up again..weird year is a understatment..
I agree about odd Sumer/Autumn. Some of my best apiaries this Summers to Autumn period have just ticked over despite having great Spring crops whilst others have excelled unexpectedly. My main nuc apiaries are all being fed but that's to be expected due to colony concentrations. I am finding that the balsam appears to have not yielded very well at all but appears to have started now when I would expect it to be slowing down. Go figure.
 #8797  by NigelP
 08 Sep 2020, 08:16
Chrisbarlow wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 23:33

Whats the blossom like at the moment on the moors? I know you were initially thinking of bringing them back this coming week
Last week it was still good and they were bringing in nectar....Going to put clearer boards on later this week and see what we have got. Me thinks any flow will shortly be coming to a crashing halt. Am intending bringing hives back over the weekend.
My girls in the garden are going crackers for the balsam at the moment....weird year.
 #8798  by Chrisbarlow
 08 Sep 2020, 12:45
Thanks Nigel. I think I'll be going this week now to sort em out