BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• honey colour and textures - what are they?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #9350  by AdamD
 26 Oct 2020, 08:28
When ivy honey sets in the comb it looks like lard. The strong aroma does reduce to some extent after a few months in the jar.

I rarely get monofloral honey so it's difficult to comment. Sweet Chestnut honey tends to be thick in consistency and darker in colour than some. My bees collected it in the warm summer of 2018 however it doesn't yeild too well as it needs warm temperatures being a mediteranean tree.
 #9352  by Patrick
 26 Oct 2020, 13:00
I think I pick up Sweet Chestnut in my summer honey, we certainly have a few trees about. Sometimes my summer honey is quite dark and has a strong flavour. Notably, it is much more reluctant to set. I have a half bucket of really strong honey years old that has never set. Wonder if that is it?
 #9353  by Beefens30
 26 Oct 2020, 13:10
You can tell if bees have been on a lot of ragwort when you take the roof off the hive the smell hits you. Honey tastes as revolting as the smell (my opinion) but if left in a bucket for a year or so the taste mellows. If they draw comb with it, it is bright yellow.
 #9365  by Chrisbarlow
 27 Oct 2020, 19:57
Folks, thanks for the update, all the entries summarised. Last question, any body have any idea of blackberry/bramble honey?

Borage honey, if very pure looks like water in a jar. Usually a slight tinge, but very pale and translucent.

Buckwheat honey
Very Black colour and runny. When set can look brown. Tastes musky? Not a sweet honey

Heather
Bell heather honey (the elusive gold) is red and spins out of frames.

Heather
Ling heather Honey ( is amber and thick and needs pressing out.
heather honey is one of the few honeys that smell of the flowers it comes from. It's the scent of the moors in a jar. Plus must be thixotropic, jelly like when stood but turns to liquid when agitated.

Hawthorne Honey
A rare beast of another monofloral honey is Hawthorn. Its a medium amber colour with a distinct nutty taste (according to Eva Cranes, Honey).
You often see it appearing in frames as the OSR is finishing. I sometimes come across some noticeably darker honey in them just as OSR going over and Hawthorn coming into bloom.
Also this season we had a distinct smell of "cats pee" in the supers when the hawthorn was in bloom this year.
it doesn't yield much nectar most years. Like lime it need s some very specific conditions, warm and humid.

Horse chestnut Honey
should also be dark with reddish tints, only yields when it's warm.
Sweet Chestnut honey tends to be thick in consistency and darker in colour than some. My bees collected it in the warm summer of 2018 however it doesn't yield too well as it needs warm temperatures being a Mediterranean tree.

Ivy Honey
Ivy is strong in taste and smell. Starts off dark liquid and sets as fast as sunflower and OSR. Eventually turns white when set and can be mistaken to set OSR. Have to get the timing right when taking off the hives, too soon and it will easily ferment. Leave on too long and it has set solid in the comb. When removing frames best to extract straight away.
When ivy honey sets in the comb it looks like lard. The strong aroma does reduce to some extent after a few months in the jar.

Knotweed honey
I believe it has a red tinge to it

OSR / Oil seed rape Honey (canola)
The whiter the honey and the harder set the honey, more OSR nectar is in it. Tastes very sweet

Phacelia Honey
From what i have seen and tasted from Borage i would say Phacelia is very similar in colour and texture but slightly stronger in aroma and taste. Phacelia yields a Blue/Purple pollen..

Lime honey (also known as linden or basswood)
Has been described as having a light mint flavour
Lime honey is greenish and MUST have a mint taste. The number of keepers with so called "lime" honey that is green but no mint taste amazes me.

Ragwort Honey
Ragwort honey is supposed to be quite yellow/orange. Described as unpalatable. You can tell if bees have been on a lot of ragwort when you take the roof off the hive the smell hits you. Honey tastes as revolting as the smell (my opinion) but if left in a bucket for a year or so the taste mellows. If they draw comb with it, it is bright yellow.

Rosebay willow herb Honey
I believe should be very pale

Sunflower honey
starts off light brown with orange hints then within a few hours begins to turn orange. The higher percentage of sunflower in an extraction the more orange it is. Medium taste I would. Sets quickly and another one that you can't hang around with but helps when you have poly hives.

Water balsam
Light coloured honey, sweet
 #9371  by MickBBKA
 29 Oct 2020, 00:53
What I find amazing is the difference between honey's year on year from the same location. The weather looks to be the main driver in the types. This years spring honey has been the darkest honey I have ever had, it hasn't granulated yet, has a low water content and tastes amazing. Last year from the same location I ended up with 13 supers of set in frames honey. The location is very consistent as its sheep and cattle pasture and not arable so has no OSR in quantity any where near. The scent of the honey in the spring wasn't very nice, I think it was hog weed. The taste is fantastic. I will endeavour to look under the scope and see if I can identify what it is from. We had a freezing cold but very sunny April and May so I think the bees had to look for other sources of forage to the normal stuff.
 #9417  by thewoodgatherer
 03 Nov 2020, 22:35
MickBBKA wrote:What I find amazing is the difference between honey's year on year from the same location. The weather looks to be the main driver in the types. This years spring honey has been the darkest honey I have ever had, it hasn't granulated yet, has a low water content and tastes amazing. Last year from the same location I ended up with 13 supers of set in frames honey. The location is very consistent as its sheep and cattle pasture and not arable so has no OSR in quantity any where near. The scent of the honey in the spring wasn't very nice, I think it was hog weed. The taste is fantastic. I will endeavour to look under the scope and see if I can identify what it is from. We had a freezing cold but very sunny April and May so I think the bees had to look for other sources of forage to the normal stuff.
Agreed 3 years back the summer honey came off dark brown and I found a jar of it early this year that was still runny. Last year the same harvest time and the honey had a high lime content and set within a month. This year is brown again fast setting but no hint of the minty lime taste.
Regards the Rapeseed being white, I live surrounded by rapeseed some years and last year it set so white that everyone in a association commented on how white it was, clearly it was because the rapeseed was by far the dominant nectar source.