BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• BBKA Basic assessment

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #358  by Newbee
 20 Aug 2018, 13:32
Having just started beekeeping this year, I'm wondering when the best time would be to take the BBKA Basic assessment? I'm keen to move on to study the theory modules, so don't want to leave it too long, but I can see how one year's worth of beekeeping experience might not be enough to pass with flying colours. What do people think?

Also, what do you have to do to achieve a Credit, rather than just a Pass?

Thanks,

Newbee
 #361  by Jim Norfolk
 20 Aug 2018, 16:51
Its not a time thing but experience. Get to look in as many colonies as you can in different apiaries, ideally visit the apiary you will be tested at. I knew there were castellations in the brood boxes where I was to be assessed so I and some others went there and saw how they handled them. If there is an open apiary day, be there. Learn the "approved " ways to use hive tools, make and handle frames and inspect bees. Go to any talks on beekeeping. Read different books and learn the answers particularly diseases. I waited until my third year. You get a credit if you get enouigh answers correct and handle the bees appropriately. Off the top of my head I think it is 75% for a credit.
 #363  by AdamD
 21 Aug 2018, 10:05
Firstly most people pass the 'Basic' so you should not be too worried by it. Jim is right that 75% in all 4 categories is what's required. If you have kept bees for all 4 seasons, you should be OK for the Basic although some questions will come up where you have no experience to draw on when giving an answer. And as Jim also suggests, the more colonies you look at the better. If your association has WBC, Langstroth, 14 x 12, Dartington, Top Bar etc, then see if you can have a go.