BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What would you do? (Bees nest)

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #8232  by Liam
 14 Jul 2020, 11:48
I was asked today about a honey bees nest that is two story’s up in a country house. They know the bees have been there for 2 years. The previous owner has said they were occupying that area when they lived there, so I’m guessing they have made this home for many years.

The bees are apparently between the roof and the wall. They are having scaffolding put up to do maintenance and had asked if they could be saved in anyway. I know how to do cut outs but, would I be mad in thinking this could even be possible?.

Suggestions please
 #8233  by NigelP
 14 Jul 2020, 12:16
I would say almost impossible without taking most of the wall down.
Although there is one way....put a one way cone escape around the entrance ( make sure it is the only way out, block everything else off) with a tube leading from one way escape into a nuc. You will get the flying bees, but whether the queen will venture from her lair is unlikely.
 #8234  by AndrewLD
 14 Jul 2020, 12:22
I think we have at least one forum member that does cut-outs so perhaps a search might be useful if that member doesn't spot your post.
Putting aside the business of getting the honeycomb and brood comb out, there is the important question of insurance. Your BBKA membership insurance does not cover this. If you are inclined to give it a go then I suggest that access is provided by someone else (scaffolding) and the nest is exposed by someone qualified in the building trade. In other words the only bit you would do is to cut out the comb and take it away (hopefully taking the bees with you).
I suggest you put the scope of anything you are to do in writing and get it agreed with the owner, including that you have no liability.
People do it all the time and my chimney-sweep works with a builder when bees get settled in chimneys. I assume they are happy to take the risk of being stung.
 #8235  by nealh
 14 Jul 2020, 12:45
What ever you do don't get involved with the building work and only confine yourself to colony removal.
 #8237  by Liam
 14 Jul 2020, 13:17
Yes, I wouldn’t be involved in the removing of anything, although I have done roofing and brick laying in the past but I don’t want that responsibility, although they are friends of mine, which is why I would like to help if I can.

I think I will just put it to them that if they want them re-homed, then I could possibly help after it has been exposed.
 #8238  by Liam
 14 Jul 2020, 13:20
NigelP wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 12:16
I would say almost impossible without taking most of the wall down.
Although there is one way....put a one way cone escape around the entrance ( make sure it is the only way out, block everything else off) with a tube leading from one way escape into a nuc. You will get the flying bees, but whether the queen will venture from her lair is unlikely.
Sounds like a good plan, never thought of that, if we left it a while, could work. Maybe worth a try.
 #8239  by Patrick
 14 Jul 2020, 14:04
Midshipman Grumpy here..

The problem with bees in structure is that everyone presupposes (hopes?) the nest is directly behind the entrance hole. Three blocks carefully removed and there they lie - ready for lifting out, like books off the shelf. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee this will be the case. They could be tracking back to anywhere. The nest could be massive. Or not. Unless they are readily accessible I simply don’t think the effort is worthwhile. Also it will need scrupulous sealing up afterwards or subsequently scout bees will rediscover it and off you go again. You could try the bleeding off to a nucleus but just doubtful you will get all of them in any reasonable timeframe and builders won’t wait forever, they have other jobs to go on to.

I also can’t see most non beekeeping builders nowadays being prepared to expose the nest without the bee risk “neutralised” first. Remember this is not a docile just-arrived swarm, this is an undisturbed established colony at the height of the season, with combs maybe attached to the very stonework that is being removed (or not) with entirely unknown temperament who for all it knows, is having its nest attacked. It could become a real‘mare. And one everyone is looking to you Mr Expert to bring to resolution - and quickly.

Advise your friends that in your beekeeping opinion this is either one for an insured cut out person or pest control. Probably the latter. Best help you can give is sound advice in my view. Keep them friends. 👍

Grumpy - over and out 😁😆
 #8248  by Alfred
 15 Jul 2020, 06:14
I'm with Pugwash on this.
Their opinion of you resist on a knife edge between beekeeping hero and idiotic pariah.
If property repair costs come into it you can find yourself on the wrong side of the table in a small claims court too.
I've done one cutout which thankfully went ok but could easily have been a monumental disaster.
 #8258  by AdamD
 16 Jul 2020, 09:16
I had a call from a homeowner the other day who had been quoted £4000 to remove some bees from a wall - before builders were due to come in and do some work. As has been pointed out, the bees may be entering from one spot but could be a long distance away (it's an old solid wall, so who knows where they might be). They have been there for over 6 years, since the owner bought the property, with no issues or concerns at all. What could the owner do? Rather than destroy them, my suggestion was to close off the entrance each morning before the builders start and then open it up when they leave off. The builders are only going to be there for a few weeks, so there's a chance that the colony would survive. I don't want to do heroics, and I am not a builder, so I didn't offer to help!