BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Wasps on breakfast news

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #684  by DianeBees
 19 Sep 2018, 09:27
Caught a story about wasps on breakfast news and how we should love them really. Thought it was nice to see the entomologist using takeaway food containers for bits of nest! That's what we do!
 #690  by thewoodgatherer
 19 Sep 2018, 11:56
As much as a agree wasps do have a valuable place in nature I thick she was a little over fare when she made out they will not sting if left alone. I have been and seen other people stung when not even moving a limb. They are very aggressive and need little or NO provocation to sting in my opinion.
 #691  by DianeBees
 19 Sep 2018, 12:27
There are different types - the big wasp survey lists them and again states that some species are not agressive. The issue is for most people will be it's very hard to ID a wasp on the wing to know it's a non-stingy sort or not. The ID sheet for the wasp survey uses faces because they expect people to be looking at dead ones, not being able to look one in the eye on the wing!

From their site http://www.bigwaspsurvey.org/the-wasps/
Dolichovespula is a small genus of social wasps distributed widely throughout the Northern Hemisphere. The yellow and black members of the genus are known by the common name yellowjackets, along with members of their sister genus Vespula.

The word Dolichovespula, which is derived from the Greek word “dolikhos,” meaning “long.” . This describes the characteristic long face found within the genus, as opposed to the short and round faces found in the Vespula genus.

And also when they're bothering humans it's because they need the sweet stuff from another source other than the larvae so are more likely to be bothersome.

I've got some wasp samples to pin and might take a photo if I can get one looking half sensible.