BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• New type of hive

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #3767  by Alfred
 25 Jun 2019, 13:26
Not sure it's optimised for British winters though.
Or the summers... ;)
 #3768  by NigelP
 25 Jun 2019, 15:16
More let alone beekeeping being sold to the gullible.
I can see it proving a useful tool as an observation hive for a seasoned keeper but for proper management etc it's useless in several ways. @
Not least being it's inability to expand as colony expands (i.e go to double brood) or when there is a flow on how do you increase the numbers of "supers".
Beekeeping world is full of "new" hives types most are destined to fail.

Although given it's observational values it might be worth having one for demos etc....assuming the price is right....I never followed vid to bitter end...was their a price mentioned?
 #3769  by Japey Edge
 25 Jun 2019, 15:27
According to their indiegogo campaign they're available for €499 for one (with a 50% off sticker next to it) or €898 for 2.

Bit steep even at half price?!

Maybe this will enable beekeepers to offer a local maintenance service to their region? Disease treatment, swarm prevention, general "servicing" if you like? ;)
 #3770  by Japey Edge
 25 Jun 2019, 15:30
Hmm, I think I scrolled to far. There's another thing on the right hand side of the indiegogo page saying they're $625 each (45% off) with estimated shipping in November.
 #3771  by Alfred
 25 Jun 2019, 15:40
I don't think there's a price yet- they're asking for crowdfunding.
Not sure I'm going to contribute just yet.

Plant-based 100 percent effective ,year round varroa treatment that has a side effect of also treating Efb, AFB,CB ,DWV etc would be a better investment but us tightwad Beeks would surely still shuffle to the back of the crowd!!!
Or perhaps a premium version that also causes my vile angry monsters to roll over and giggle as I tickle their little tummies with bare hands.
Here's hoping....
 #3772  by Patrick
 25 Jun 2019, 15:57
When I started it seemed anyone who had ever kept bees had written a beginners book on how to keep them.

Now it seems that everyone Instead designs new hives for others to keep them in.

Which is kind.. 😁
 #3773  by NigelP
 25 Jun 2019, 17:01
Always been like that. Ealry 1900's there were over 1000 different patents for different types of bee hives in the states. Only Langstroths and Dadants (which where both "invented" there really made it through the crowd into the modern era.