BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Specific AH topic

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #14351  by MickBBKA
 23 Apr 2024, 00:53
Not sure how they get on compared to our wasps but I have been inundated by queen wasps over the last month. I have had an absolute nightmare with wasps over the last 3 or 4 years. I think I have killed about 8 queens so far under the roofs of my hives. My first 10 years of beekeeping I never found one. These were not there 2 months ago so are interlopers looking to nest near a food supply. I think the very warm winters we have here are allowing them to survive in greater numbers into the Spring. AH is all I need.

To be honest I think the climatic change with warm Winters and cold Springs, massive increase in wasps and the invasion of AH which the APHA have been a complete failure over will kill off my beekeeping business. I can't see any thing in the future that is positive for me. Feeding into May when I should be looking at extracting is a disaster. At this point I am looking at feeding 30 colonies of bees just to keep them alive which I have been doing since July last year. !0 months feeding is not acceptable and I may as well let them die out. Breaks my heart.
 #14353  by NigelP
 23 Apr 2024, 14:02
Wasps, no problem. Buy some Hive Gates from Thornes or design and make your own. The principal is a long tunnel entrance with small opening. Bees can defend this much more effectively. Saved some weak nucs I had late on last year. Note you need to buy a hive gate periscope for nucs as well as the hive gate tunnel.
They are a simple concept and are very effective.
Have a look at https://www.beeiqsolutions.com/hivegate for details of how they work.

Image.