BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Change to module entry requirements

• Examinations Questions/Answers & advice for others
Examinations Questions/Answers & advice for others
 #1253  by DianeBees
 01 Nov 2018, 13:16
https://www.bbka.org.uk/blog/change-in- ... eSSTzm72zo

You won't need to have passed the basic assessment before taking modules - from late next year.

This is good news for at least one member of our branch - her husband keeps bees and she's not very confident in the hive but is really interested in the theory around them. She's been coming to the module 3 course we've been running and has really enjoyed it. She enjoys the studying but isn't that keen to be quite so hands on.
 #1254  by AdamD
 01 Nov 2018, 14:16
I had taken Module 1 and was told that I was not able to collect the certificate until after I had taken and passed the Basic. As it happened, that summer I took the General a few days before taking the Basic Exam. So I got certificates for all three at the same time. I do wonder whether passing the General Certificate straight-off after suitable experience gained in the apiary could be a short-cut to avoid doing the Basic.
 #1258  by DianeBees
 01 Nov 2018, 20:08
The general now needs 5 years beekeeping experience.
I don't think it's hugely difficult to pass the basic but satisfies councils re bees on allotments.
 #1269  by AdamD
 03 Nov 2018, 10:39
I took my 'General' after 3 1/2 years which was allowed at the time - possibly a little too soon. You are right that most people pass the basic however is does indicate that the candidate has a reasonable level of understanding.