BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• can you use sublimox with supers on?

• Honeybee pests and diseases.
Honeybee pests and diseases.
 #8460  by Chrisbarlow
 11 Aug 2020, 18:20
Can I use the sublimox with honey supers on?

In season do folks do 3 times every 5days or every 7 days?
 #8462  by NigelP
 11 Aug 2020, 19:05
Technically no, not with supers on.
5 day intervals, but check your mite drop constantly. I've had one or two with phenomenal drops even after 6-7 vapes.
Most are fine, just odd rogue ones. I now add Apivar strips to any I'm not happy with.
I've heard of a few theories why some hives continue to drop huge mite loads, even after a considerable number of vapes. Yet to hear of a reason that makes much sense, apart from inefficient vaping in some cases. I now vape from the top of the hive, using an eke with a hole for the sublimox nozzle and clear perspex top. So I know (and can see) the vaping is efficient, but you still get the odd problem hive.
 #8470  by Chrisbarlow
 12 Aug 2020, 10:18
NigelP wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 19:05
Technically no, not with supers on.
5 day intervals, but check your mite drop constantly. I've had one or two with phenomenal drops even after 6-7 vapes.
Most are fine, just odd rogue ones. I now add Apivar strips to any I'm not happy with.
I've heard of a few theories why some hives continue to drop huge mite loads, even after a considerable number of vapes. Yet to hear of a reason that makes much sense, apart from inefficient vaping in some cases. I now vape from the top of the hive, using an eke with a hole for the sublimox nozzle and clear perspex top. So I know (and can see) the vaping is efficient, but you still get the odd problem hive.
Thanks Nigel

I'm gonna try The top board, never thought of a perspex screen, I like that

Do you vape and then move that eke to the next colony or do you have multiple ekes?
 #8473  by NigelP
 12 Aug 2020, 10:44
I have 2, by the time you have done the second hive the sublimate has condensed and spread throughout the other hive. I only put varroa trays under open mesh floors (The abelo varroa trays turn their floors into "solids") and I don't bother sealing the hive up as the sublimox is so efficient.
Don't forget your safety gear, you will need it.

You'll notice you get builds of OA where you have sprayed and you will see the spray pattern of the condensate on the perspex and far side...., which is why I like to sublimate into an open space (the eke) rather through the entrance where you are never a 100% certain where your jet is spraying. I hope that makes sense.
 #8474  by Chrisbarlow
 12 Aug 2020, 11:20
NigelP wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 10:44
I have 2, by the time you have done the second hive the sublimate has condensed and spread throughout the other hive. I only put varroa trays under open mesh floors (The abelo varroa trays turn their floors into "solids") and I don't bother sealing the hive up as the sublimox is so efficient.
Don't forget your safety gear, you will need it.

You'll notice you get builds of OA where you have sprayed and you will see the spray pattern of the condensate on the perspex and far side...., which is why I like to sublimate into an open space (the eke) rather through the entrance where you are never a 100% certain where your jet is spraying. I hope that makes sense.
This makes lots of sense. Thanks for the pointers Nigel. Appreciated